View Profile SourJovis

44 Movie Reviews

Didn't know Sr Pelo, but now I've looked him up, this animation was very funny. You could've had even faster pacing, more shouting and strangely drawn frames to make it more in Sr Pelo's style but it's a good start. I like the way the father is drawn. Makes you wonder if he's naked.

Crashgen responds:

Thank you for your sincere words lol.

Looks and sounds great. I like the message. So true. Feedback is great. It's good to reflect upon. Often it's best ignored though, because it's just a difference in taste. If you create something artistically there will always be people who tell you to change it. But there will also be others who like what you made exactly because you did all of those things the first one didn't like. So I suppose you should just trust your own instinct, know you can't please everyone and hope for like minded people to find your art.

I've found your's.

SoraNgin responds:

Agreed! And thank you for the kind words! :)

That was a funny animation. Good facial expressions. Audio could be cleaner. Animation was good enough. Voice acting was good. Thanks for making me smile.

32 Game Reviews

Great game! I love the humor. It's much better than you would expect from the artwork alone. At first glance it looks like any ordinary troll game, but it's actually very polished, and the gameplay is great. I also like how you put a lot of effort in making this game cinematic. The jokes wouldn't work any other way. I truly enjoyed playing this.

OOGIDIBA responds:

Thanks! I spent way too much time on the cut scenes haha. It's good to hear people are making it to them!

Great! I like the Gorillaz music. It looks a bit too much like mega man. The main character in any case. I think you should change the graphics a bit more to make it look more unique. Also I think the jump sound should be longer. You should definitely make this a full game. I'd help with the 8-bit music if you want.

I like this game. It could easily be much longer, but I assume you just didn't have enough time for that. The graphics are very nice. The sound fx and music too. Gives a very pleasant mood, and it all fits the edgy isometric theme. The isometric view is also what makes this game unique. Very difficult to aim and see what's where. I think you could've made even more Esher like optical illusions with this. It would be very annoying to the player, but it would work if you had more levels, to make it really difficult at the end. So is the sky reflected in the water, or is the water the sky? Or is that a question better left unanswered?

286 Audio Reviews

That does indeed remind me of snes music. It realy has that vibe. Could almost fit a Zelda game. You made this 5 years ago I see. If you're still into making this kind of music, you should check out Ploque - Chipsynth SFC if you haven't already. For me it's really the best way to create snes music.

BenTibbetts responds:

Hey! Thank you. Yes, I was introduced to that software by @JohnMontoya. I've used and enjoyed it. I also use Super Audio Cart, as well as taking samples directly from SPC files.

Great song. Awesome production. Very bright clean and beautiful sounds. I like how you use so much reverb without making it drown the mix. Talking about drowning. Listening to this makes you feel like your submerged in music. Like floating underwater, but under music.

The sharp attacks on the bass with the flatter smoother tails are nice. Gives it much punch and fatness.

The melodies are pleasant and playful. They don't actually stick with me though. It's not an earworm. More like pleasant background music. I don't always like the direction the melody goes. Like the part at 0:28. You expect a resolution of the phrase that came before, that either dissolves suspense to round of the segment, or creates suspense to build up for the next part. This doesn't quite do either. I don't know all of the technical details of what makes a great melody or not, but this doesn't quite work for me.

The filter automation works well. I like the dynamics it creates from soft to loud parts and back to softer.

Those voice samples at 1:26 are killing it. Makes it sound much more interesting. Lifts it to a whole new level.

I like your use of stereo and panning. The song sounds wide and exciting without being empty in the middle.

The song feels a little short. 01:58 is where it feels the meat of the song starts. But that would mean most of the song is build up. I believe you could extend the song to 4 or 5 minutes if you continue with the energy of part 1:58 onward, with possibly a quieter bridge in between.

Having said that 01:58-2:29 is probably my least favorite part of the song. Especially because I think the melody line isn't that strong. The lead synth sound is a bit generic. Also, and this is even more a matter of taste, your song sounds very clean and I prefer a grittier sound. Like I said the production is top notch and you should do whatever sounds right to you, but for me it would really liven up with some mild saturation like you get from analog hardware. Especially the loud part. The Reese bass sounds very tame compared to most.

Glad to get to listen and reflect on this. Good work. Keep at it.

Very beautiful song. To me this means the arrival of spring, and hopefully for better times to come.

SkyeWint responds:

Hey dude, it's been ages!

Glad that you like this, it's one I'm pretty proud of. Was thinking I should try to convert it to sheet music for others to play, but man... that sounds like a pain.

It's actually pretty heavily inspired by Breath of the Wild, composed it shortly after playing the game.

43 Art Reviews

Great artwork. I like the contrast between the bright cyan/blue eyes and the soft brown orange earth tones u use. Also the contrast between the dark back-lit foreground and the light background. That also brings out the eyes nicely.

I'm also looking forward to the new films. I read the first novel when I was 10, and right after watched the 1984 movie. I was a bit disappointed in it. By then the first film was already outdated, but when it was first released it already relied on older technologies and wasn't visually as impressive as Star Wars for example. It all didn't look as cool I imagined from the books, and sometimes it looked downright silly even. The story seemed shallow compared to the books. In retrospect I see the first film really became a cult classic. It's a product of it's time and really has that 80's vibe that I actually quite like. Still I don't think it does the novels justice.

It will be interesting to see a more faithful, serious and timeless adaptation. Let's hope the new films will be just that.

Never forget Cara Dune. Strongest woman in the Star Wars universe, and only one who dared to stand up against the dark side of the force.

"I know newgrounds mostly likes art of women, but .. close enough right?"

I like to see women yeah, but you should make whatever art you want. Maybe this way we'll get some more women on Newgrounds.

Very well done. He looks like me... I wish.

I make music for games, animations, short films, vlogs, etc. If you want me to make something for you, please contact me and we'll discuss the details.
I also write scripts, record sound effects, animate and voice act.

Bart van Zon @SourJovis